There are so many wax options out there, so why did we pick soy? Read some of the reasons why below!
- Derived from the soybean, soy wax is a hydrogenated vegetable oil that turns to a solid at room temperature. Soy wax contains nothing artificial, which makes it a better alternative to old-fashioned paraffin wax, which is made from petroleum oil and produces harmful by-products when burned or melted. Soy wax is non-toxic making it better both for the environment and your health!
- Soy wax is a healthier alternative to paraffin wax in that it does not release dangerous carcinogens into the air when melted like paraffin wax does. Burning and/or melting paraffin releases at least 11 known toxins—two of which are carcinogens—into the air. Carcinogens are known to cause cancer in some people.
- Unlike paraffin wax, which gives off black soot when burned, soy wax burns cleaner. Since paraffin wax is petroleum-based, burning it produces a black soot that can potentially stain curtains, walls, and carpets inside the home. As a vegetable-based wax, soy wax does not give off any harmful by-products that might cause damage.
- It is biodegradable which makes it easy to clean up with just plain soap and water.
- Soy has a lower melting point than paraffin wax and because of this, soy candles will burn slower and up to 50% longer than paraffin candles.